Sunday, May 08, 2011

To Censure or to Celebrate?

"She was to be their chosen visitor, she was to be for weeks under the same roof with the person whose society she mostly prized- and, in addition to all the rest, this roof was to be the roof of an abbey! Her passion for ancient edifices was next in degree to her passion for Henry Tilney." (Chapter 17)
Good grief! I can just she her screeching and giggling inside with delight. Catherine really is the most naive of all the Austen heroines. She seems to think this a recipe for perfect happiness and affability. I know that Austen started this at a younger age than the rest of her novels. Was she looking for a place to channel her own passions, or a place to censure those of others? Up to this time the novel has been about, "chocolates and flowers." Later, Catherine gets a little dose of reality. But then she gets her prince too. Is the novel to censure or celebrate this stage in life? Maybe a little of both? Seeing Catherine's admiration and passion reminds me that some things never change.

Another thing that never seems to change is the way that some people look at our language. In Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen definitely spends time censuring her modern language. From the book tirade in the first few chapters in the novel, to the sly comments that the hero makes about language, this novel was one of Jane's earlier attempts to state her opinion about language. Catherine and Eleanor use the word "nice" to describe a novel that they are discussing, and Mr. Tilney mocks them playfully for their use of an over-used term. " 'Very true,' said Henry, 'and this is a very nice day, and we are taking a very nice walk, and you are two very nice young ladies. Oh! It is a very nice word indeed! It does for everything. Originally perhaps it was applied only to express neatness, propriety, delicacy, or refinement - people were nice in their dress, in their sentiments, or their choice. But now every commendation on every subject is comprised in that one word.' " (Chapter 14)

This reminds me of several words in modern English as well: "Random," "awesome," and a few swear words that can function as a verb, noun, or adjective. I am going to make it my personal goal to irradiate certain over-used terms from my vocabulary. I have almost banished "I am good," and replaced it with, "I am doing well, thank you!" I do not seek to make myself seem pompous, but we have such an intricate and varied language, why should we not make the best of it? I think that I have a talent for words, and I will nurture that, not suppress it. I think that is what Austen was trying to point out in all her language tirades; Nurture, do not suppress.

No comments:

Post a Comment